The earliest mention of Borgo Sambuco is the deed of donation of the land by the Bigazzini di Coccorano counts. The aforementioned deed was drawn up by “Bernardinus, imperialis aulac notarius” on August 12, 1260, in Latin.
Paolo Bigazzini, one of the Count’s heirs, had the desire to take vows, so his father (the count) decided to donate the land to the Silvestrini monks to build a convent in order not to make him go too far from home.
The founder of the Silvestrini monks, Silvestro Gozzolini da Osimo built the convent and the related church dedicated to Saint Mark.
We can still admire in a fireplace of the house, carved with the stone-architrave, a weaving of oak and elder branches which is the emblem of the patron saint of the family.
Of the existence and life of the convent there are, in addition to the aforementioned constitutive act, many testimonies in parchments of the XII – XIII – XIV centuries, preserved in the Silvestrino monastery of Montefano, near Fabriano.
Miracles also occurred in the convent of Sambuco, when friar “Paolino” (Paolo Bigazzini) was the guardian, so much so that he was later named “Blessed”.
From numerous testimonies we know that in the mid-fifteenth century the convent had already been abandoned by the friars due to the high rate of banditry in the area and the buildings were already in serious decay, almost ruins.
Despite the lack of precise written documents, it is likely that the new owners of the large territory had settled on the ruins of the convent, already in the 16th century: “the Giappichinis”.
In fact, from a “Parish register of the deaths” there is news of the death of Gio-Maria Giappichini born in 1681.
It is therefore ascertained that the Giappichinis were in place at least since 1600.
Since then there are countless documents attesting the various events of the family and its members and still today in the place where it all began Giammaria Giappichini and Alessandra Lungarotti continue to write a story that started 400 years ago.